Barrett Greisberger Dollinger Fletcher Peartree & Tallon, LLP
Celebrates 105th Anniversary
1899 - 2004
The Barrett Law firm was established by John W. Barrett. In 1933 his son, Gerald R. Barrett entered into practice. "Jerry" was widely known and respected as a skilled speaker and much in demand as an emcee for many occasions. Jerry served as legal advisor to the Chamber and was president from 1937-1938. In 1964, Jerry's son, John M. Barrett, joined the firm. John was a Director on the Chamber's Board of Directors from 1983-1986.
In the mid 90's the Barrett Law Firm added partners and became Barrett Greisberger Dollinger Fletcher Peartree & Tallon, LLP.
John retired in December 2003 and moved to California to be with his daughter and her family.
The law firm continues today practicing in all aspects of law - trusts, wills and estates, commercial and residential real estate, litigation, corporate law, general family law and just about everything a family needs. The firm is growing and recently added another attorney, Mary Magee. They are located at 34 May Street, Webster and can be reached at 585-265-3730.
Celebrates 105th Anniversary
1899 - 2004
For 105 years the Webster Herald has chronicled the lives of the people who live in the community. Like any entity that enjoys over a century of existence, the history of the Herald is long and colorful.
The publication was started by a man named Albert Andrews, who left East Aurora in search of a community that needed a newspaper. He took a fancy to the small rural town of Webster. Along with business partner Henry C. Morgan, he published the first edition of the paper in 1899. Andrews soon bought out his partner, and began a 24-year sole proprietorship of the fledgling weekly. During this time at the Herald, Andrews was instrumental in the creation of Webster Village, village water improvements and the founding of the Webster Fire Department.
In 1923, Andrews sold his interest in the paper to F.I. Lowell, and founded another paper, the Webster Free Press, which lasted two years. Five years later, the Herald was sold again to Jack Collins and his wife, Anna. During that time, the Herald supported the building of a new school. Jack Collins died in 1944, and his estate sold the paper.
In 1945, Empire State weeklies, Inc. was formed. Among the founders was the late G. Curtis Gerling. The company was eventually sold to Gerling's son, Jon, and business partner, Richard Calus. Jon served on the Chamber's Board of Directors in the early 1970's and Richard served on the Board in the mid 1980's. In 1978, Calus, and another employee, W. David Young, purchased Empire State Weeklies. Today, Young serves as president and sole proprietor of Empire State Weeklies, which publishes both the Webster Herald and Wayne County Mail.
Since its beginnings, the Webster Herald has been foremost a community newspaper. The Herald maintains a regular and visible presence at numerous community events, including such time honored traditions as Christmas in the Village and the Village Days festival.
The Herald is also an active participant in the annual Turkey Trot, held each Thanksgiving at Webster Park. The event brings hundreds of people from throughout the Greater Rochester area together and raises funds to benefit Webster high school cross country athletes.
For the past 17 years, the Herald has sponsored a Herald Citizen of the Year. Recipients are nominated by the community, and the honoree is profiled in a special edition of the newspaper. Every January, the Herald prints a Progress edition that highlights many of the accomplishments made in Webster during the previous year.
From its inception as a small broadsheet geared to serve the needs of an agricultural based community, to its present day modern, suburban tabloid sized paper, as Webster has changed over the years, so, too, has the Herald.
Celebrates 85th Anniversary
1919 - 2004
Netzman's Appliances has grown into one of the largest Independent Appliance Stores in the area. The store's growth can be attributed to a number of things, most importantly customer service plus the wide array of appliances on display. Netzman's has always been known for taking care of their customers. The Service Department people are factory-trained and have over 50 years of experience between them. Netzman's is the only Independent Appliance Store in the area with their own service and parts department. The parts department has a large inventory for most major brands and has helped thousands of do-it-yourselfers repair their own appliances.
The sales department has grown from two full-time sales people to five in just the past five years. There are over 200 appliances on display and a large inventory is kept in stock for immediate delivery. Loyal customers keep coming back for the service and value they get from Netzman's.
Jim Hoffman acquired the business in 1988. Needing more space he moved the store to its current location at 185 West Main Street, Webster. Jim gives back to the community by supporting many local charities.
Sutter, Summers & Lydon
Celebrates 85th Anniversary
1919 - 2004
Carroll Sutter, Jim Sutter's father opened a law office in Webster, January 1, 1919. His office was located on the second floor above Hart's Store at 7 West Main Street over what is now Zaz's restaurant. At that time there was a grocery store on the first floor. Carroll was a graduate of Webster High School and Syracuse Law School.
Carroll's grandfather, John Sutter, emigrated from Bern, Switzerland in 1860 and settled on Salt Road, Webster. Before opening his office in Webster, Carroll had practiced in various offices in Rochester. His starting pay was $5.00 per week.
In 1923, Carroll started a general insurance agency and operated both the law practice and insurance agency until his death in December 1960. In 1949 Carroll moved his office from Main Street to his home on Dunning Avenue. Carroll also served as Treasurer of Webster School District until his death.
Jim Sutter graduated from Webster High School, University of Michigan and Yale Law School in 1955. After two years of service in the Army Counter Intelligence Corps, he began practice as an associate at Nixon Hargrave Devans and Dey in Rochester. He left that firm in July 1959 to join his father in a firm known as Sutter & Sutter. When his father died, Jim took over the insurance business as well as the law practice. Jim also served as Treasurer of the Webster Central School district for a few years.
In 1963 Jim moved his office to its present location at 20 West Main Street. The building had formerly been the location of the Wolf Sisters Millinery Store. It is one of the oldest buildings in the Village. Jim was President of the Webster Chamber of Commerce in 1980-82 and was a member of the Board of Directors for 12 years. Jim's father was President of the Chamber from 1939-1940. They are the only father and son to have served as President of the Chamber.
Don Summers grew up in Irondequoit and after graduating from Syracuse University and Law School and serving two years in the Air Force, he began his law practice with the law firm of McFarlane, Harris and Dankoff in Rochester. He later became a partner in Coyle, Marks & Jordan. It was while serving as attorneys for the Town of Webster in the 1960's that Jim and Don decided to join in forming the partnership of Sutter & Summers in October 1967.
In August 1973, Pat Lydon, who grew up in Syracuse and Watertown and graduated from LeMoyne College and Syracuse Law School, joined the firm as an Associate. Pat became a Partner in 1978 and the firm name became Sutter, Summers & Lydon. Gradually the firm took over the entire building at 20 West Main Street.
The firm has had a general law practice that included matrimonial and family law, wills and estates, real estate and municipal law as well as representing several small corporations. For a number of years Don specialized in family law and was a regular lecturer at New York State Bar Association seminars. As well as representing the Town of Webster in the 1960's, Jim represented the Village of Sodus Point for many years and the Town of Sodus for over 30 years.
Don retired in 1997 and passed away in 1998. Jim continues in the firm on a part time basis. Ownership and management of the firm has been transferred to Pat who expects to carry on the firm for many more years. The firm still practices general law but has focused primarily on estate planning, Medicaid planning, trust and estate administration, elder law and related areas.
F.S. Short & Son, Inc.
Celebrates 75th Anniversary
1929 - 2004
In 1929, while working at Brown Brothers Nursery, which was located at the now Kantata Lodge in Webster Park, Frank Short decided this was not the work he wanted to do. So, he purchased a truck plus two tractors and went to work under the name Francis S. Short Landscaping Excavating Contractor. He started with three employees and did various jobs including cleaning up Hales woods on Lake Road after a severe storm had knocked down trees and did extensive damage.
When Frank's son, Irv, was old enough, he started to work with his dad. Thus, began F.S. Short & Son. The business was incorporated in 1948 with four employees working with Frank and Irv doing construction work including constructing Woodruff Drive.
Frank passed away suddenly in 1948 leaving Irv to go on doing such jobs as building Hegedorn's store in 1953.
Irv had two sons, Ted and Tom, who joined the business when they were old enough. They did site work for Sherborne Road, south section and two Krautwurst Brothers tracts. When Irv passed away in 1975, Ted and Tom continued the business.
Ted's son, Tim, began working full time in the business after college. He did site work for DC Collision and an addition for St. Martin's Church, until he went to the Town of Penfield. Ted's younger son also started working for the business after college and has worked on the water main across Webster West Golf Course and the on the addition to Webster Bible Church.
They now have three dump trucks, a tractor trailer, backhoe, bulldozer, excavator and work for several home builders in the area including Krautwurst Brothers, Visca Buiilders, HG Builders, Mastown Construction, Buttarazzi Construction and Southshore Homes.
LeFrois Builder, Inc.
Celebrates 55th Anniversary
1949 - 2004
In the early 1940's Russell P. LeFrois joined the Carpenter's Union, Local 72. Then he started his own business and moved to Webster. He built custom homes and did remodeling work. He remodeled Hedges Nine Mile Point Restaurant several times for Stan and Olga Nowrocki. He built the clubhouse at Happy Acres Golf Club for Hap and Dorrie Reiflin. When the clubhouse was started, there were still a herd of cows in the barn. Russell built approximately 100 custom homes in Webster and the surrounding area.
When son Richard graduated from college, he joined the company and focused on commercial construction. They built offices, warehouses, fire houses, highway garages, automobile dealerships, nursing homes, churches, schools, retail stores and restaurants throughout the upstate area.
The Russell P. LeFrois Builder, Inc. organization has grown to employ 75 people and is one of the areas most respected construction firms.
Webster Cleaners Inc.
Celebrates 55th Anniversary
1949 - 2004
Webster Cleaners Inc. is a family owned and operated business. Fifty five years represents many years of hard work and dedication by Sam and Marge Giunta, and later by son and daughter-in-law, Joe and Donna Giunta. Sister, Patti, brother, Tom and Joe's kids, Sam and Jim, have all spent time working in the business.
With the help of their current staff, Paula, Angelo, Sarah, and Dayna they are able to serve their customer's dry cleaning and laundry needs, six days a week. Marge still helps to keep the business running smooth. She is always there to lend a helping hand when needed. As far as the amount of clothing they have cleaned and pressed in 55 years, it would probably be more than a couple million pounds. As Marge would say, they have moved mountains.
Through the years many employees have come and gone. Most have become like family to the Giuntas. Many of those folks have gone on to become very successful in their own lines of work. The Giuntas have always been dedicated to their employees and clientele. As they say in show business, "The show must go on" and so goes Webster Cleaners, "the work must get out." Operating day after day for 55 years calls for coordination, dedication and the precision of a well oiled machine. Like Sam and Marge before them, Joe and Donna strive to keep the business going and growing. They want to keep Webster clean and spot free and continue to help out our town by being a good role model and good neighbor for the many new businesses coming into town. They strive to be the best that they can and continue to help support the many organizations that depend on donations.
Webster Cleaners Inc. is a New York State licensed dry cleaner. They take pride in their environmentally safe equipment and training. They specialize in all aspects of cleaning and finishing fine garments. They also specialize in cleaning and preserving wedding gowns, christening gowns, and formal wear.
LoTempio Shoe Repair
Celebrates 50th Anniversary
1954 - 2004
In 1954 Frank & Josephine Talluto, Joyce's mom & dad opened a shoe repair in the W.T. Grant store located in the Ridge Culver plaza. They successfully ran the shop until 1974 when they retired. Their son-in-law, Bob LoTempio, then took over the shop. He expanded the business to include many other services: repairing and altering clothing; repairing luggage and sporting equipment. He would work at the store during the day and Joyce would do the sewing at home in the evening.
In 1982 Bob opened a shoe repair in Webster where the Millennium Bar and Restaurant is currently located. Bob ran the store in Irondequoit and Joyce ran the Webster store. As business in Webster grew, they decided in 1987 to purchase the property at 790 Ridge Road, where the store is presently located. They sold the Irondequoit store and consolidated operations in Webster. The store now consisted of Shoe repair and orthopedic corrections, an orthopedic and comfort shoe store and a canvas shop. It offered boat tops and custom fabrication for industry like Kodak and Xerox. They repair and replace zippers on just about anything. Bob is now retired, but works a few hours a week. Son, Rob, has taken over the business and has expanded it to include leather jacket and other leather clothing cleaning, conditioning and repairing. Rob also has a thorough knowledge of orthopedic corrections. He is a certified orthopedic shoe technician, having completed courses at Ball State University, North Western University and Extra Depth University.
Another service provided by the store is customizing English riding boots. Many stables and tac shops around the country send patrons to the shop to have their boots customized.
As the shoe repair has passed from one generation to another, each person has put his own print on it and made the business something special.
Webster Federal Credit Union
Celebrates 40th Anniversary
1964 - 2004
The Webster Federal Credit Union was founded by a group of Webster teachers in 1964. Its first name was Webster School District Federal Credit Union.
In 1984, the current office site at 668 Ridge Road was purchased and the name changed to Webster Federal Credit Union. At that time, the membership field was expanded to better serve the Webster community. Town of Webster employees, Hegedorn's, Trident Tools, West Webster Fire Department and Webster Fire Department were added to the field of membership.
This year, the credit union will be moving to a new office at 815 Ridge Road, across from Webster Ford. The new building will be over 4,200 square feet with all the modern conveniences. Presently the credit union is waiting for approval from the National Credit Union Administration to become a community chartered credit union.
Richard W. Kruse
Celebrates 30th Anniversary
1974 - 2004
Dick Kruse began his part time remodeling business in February 1974 as a compliment to his activities as a subcontractor for another company. Eventually, it became full time as business increased and his desire to be independent grew. Going from something relatively secure to going full time on his own was quite scary, but he does not regret the decision.
Initially, he took whatever work came along, sometimes sharing with other contractors that had expertise in areas where he was lacking. He had general training in a number of areas, thanks to his Dad and also two contractors that he had worked with during his high school and college years.
After a few years, he developed a design for garden barns and a method to build them on site for customers in the five county area. He has built well over 1,000! This led to quite a bit more work and eventually could be more selective in what types of work he would do.
For the past 12 years he has concentrated on interior remodeling such as bathrooms, kitchens, finished basements and handicap modifications. He has a working relationship with seven state and private agencies which provide accessibility modifications for children and adults with disabilities.
What he likes most is the appreciation he gets from the customer when the job is completed. There is nothing like a good reputation! The satisfaction of working with your hands to produce a fine product is very rewarding. If faced with the same choice, he would do it all over again, except make a little more time for golf!
Esco Buff's Farrier Service
Celebrates 30th Anniversary
1974 - 2004
In 1974 while working in New Mexico at a working cattle and horse ranch, Esco was sent by the ranch owner to a New Mexico State Farrier School. This was the start of his career in horseshoeing, known professionally as a Farrier. During the 1970's, Esco originally worked as the ranch Farrier, trimming and shoeing horses. Later he went onto work as a Farrier for the general public.
His intentions were to enter the Farrier profession to earn extra money to pay for college. So, he worked full and part time through his college years. He earned a BS in psychology, a MS in science and a PhD in business administration. He is one of the few Farriers in the industry with a PhD. After schooling, he realized there was no other job he enjoyed more than being a Farrier.
Through training and experience, he became a therapeutic and foundered specialist. As a therapeutic horseshoer, he trims and shoes horses with lameness problems that normally are outside the realm of a general practitioner Farrier. As a foundered horseshoer, he shoes horses suffering from a systemic disease that causes their bone structure to lose their attachment with the hoof. It is the equivalent of a person having their finger nail pulled away from their finger.
Dr. Buff has developed and published a radiograph form for the foundered horse. This form helps the Veterinarian with prognosis and analysis of the founder horse and helps the Farrier use the radiograph to correctly and precisely place a special shoe on the hoof. He recently completed a book on how to shoe foundered horses. He is an international speaker, lecturing on shoeing foundered horses, therapeutic horseshoeing and many other equine topics. He shares his knowledge with an enthusiasm and dedication that reflects his love for the horse and his trade. His knowledge of the Farrier craft makes him a natural for consultations, one-on-one instruction, group teaching experiences and as a presenter at workshops, seminars and clinics. His customer base is primarily local, with about 20% being out of state and country.
Kuk Sool Won
Traditional Korean Martial Arts
Celebrates 25th Anniversary
1979 - 2004
The traditional martial art of Kuk Sool Won was first introduced to New York in 1979 by Master Gary Evarts, a 5th degree black belt. Mr. Evarts studied for five years in South Carolina while going to college. Master Evarts started teaching in Clyde, N.Y. in 1979 to whoever showed an interest in the arts. Regardless of age, gender, or occupation, they had to show the utmost respect for their teacher, the art, and one another. Even today, students who pass through the Kuk Sool doors must show proper etiquette first, before they are shown physical movements of the art.
Millions of students have studied Kuk Sool, it is in 28 countries, and is led by one person - Grandmaster Hyuk Suh, a 10th degree black belt from Korea. He now resides in Houston, Texas. Every year, Mr. Suh visits every school in the U.S. He has been to Webster every July since 1987. He will be in Webster again this year from July 4 through 7 where he will be conducting black belt testing for area students, and a two-day seminar. Grandmaster Suh keeps a watchful eye on the quality control of the school owners and to make sure the instructors are preserving the traditions on the ancient martial art of Kuk Soon Won that has been in his family for 17 generations.
The New York schools are located in Clyde, Williamson, Wolcott and Webster (which opened in 1992.) Over 120 black belts graduated under Mr. Evarts and he has three high level assistant masters that teach at three locations. Also, there are satellite clubs under Master Evarts at the University of Buffalo, Potsdam, FLCC, Ithaca, and Ontario Parks and Recreation. Master Evarts teaches self defense in the criminal justice classes at Wayne County BOCES. He has given many self defense seminars in area schools. He has made presentations on self esteem and self discipline to inmates at shock camps, and is a leader in his field in motivating students to be dedicated toward reaching their goals inside and outside the Kuk Sool school. He has one of the leading martial arts demo teams that have performed for the Rochester Rhinos half time shows, did major shows in New York City, and have raised thousands of dollars for families that have children suffering from various types of cancer.
In 1990, 1992, and 1995 Master Evarts won world champion status in the area of weapons and self defense, in the cities of Niagara Falls, Atlantic City and Houston. This year he will be on the cover of Tae Kwon Do Times, a world wide publication that features stories about various Korean martial arts.
Trident Precision Manufacturing Inc.
Celebrates 25th Anniversary
1979 - 2004
Nicholas Juskiw, President/CEO started the company as a three-person Tool and Die operation. Today, the Webster based company manufacturers precision sheet metal components, electro-mechanical assemblies and custom products, primarily in the office equipment, semi conductor, medical supply, computer and defense industries. The 135,000 square foot modern facility staffs 150 employees and houses state of the art technology to broad based manufacturing equipment. Trident continues to expand in capabilities, size and sales volume.
Utilizing their "Excellence in Motion" total quality strategy, enables Trident to remain competitive in fulfilling customer requirements. In 1994 Trident won the New York Excelsior Award for Excellence in Quality Manufacturing. In 1996 the firm won the Malcolm Baldrige National Quality Award for Small Business. The award was presented by President Bill Clinton in Washington, DC.
Over the past ten years Nick has served on numerous community boards including, United Cerebral Palsy, Webster Ice Arena, Webster Economic Development, Rochester Metro and Webster Chamber of Commerce, and Monroe County Manufacturing Partnership. He currently is a board member for Rochester Business Alliance, HSBC Regional Board, Webster Case for Business and the Monroe County Airport Authority.
In 1995 Nick and his family established the Trident Fund through the Rochester Area Foundation. At the present time this fund benefits the Webster school district by enhancing cultural arts education.
Nick is very proud of his employees' involvement in the community. In 1990 the Christmas Sharing Program was begun to raise money for people experiencing hardship during the holidays. During the three-week period, each department would sell breakfasts and/or lunches and have raffles to raise money for four local food closets. Since 1997 Christmas Sharing has evolved into a year long program with many more creative ways to raise money. The employees have raised over $139,000 for food that has been distributed to the Webster Community Chest, St. Mary's On The Lake, Grace Fellowship, and the Walworth Food Pantry.
Nick's vision statement for the company remains the same today as it did 25 years ago.
UPS Supply Chain Solutions
Celebrates 25th Anniversary
1979 - 2004
The Webster office of UPS Supply Chain Solutions began as a company called Air Compak located on Beahan Road across from the Rochester Airport. The office moved several times and is now a part of the UPS family.
A staff of 30 work in the 50,000 square foot facility on Basket Road. This is not a typical UPS small package operation. The Webster facility is dedicated to international shipments ranging from 100 to 10,000 + pounds. Warehousing, distribution, crating and packaging round out the services provided to companies in the greater Rochester area.
Webster continues to provide well educated employees and a safe, secure environment from which to work.
Len Sharp, Chamber Board member, represents UPS Supply Chain Solutions.