Town of Webster
Celebrates 165th Anniversary
1840 - 2005
The township was named after the great orator, Daniel Webster, when Penfield and Webster became separate towns. Favorable soil conditions and climate contributed to Webster’s growth as a prosperous center for fruit growing and other agriculture, and a subsequent growth in food processing and evaporating industries. Crops such as apples, peaches, pears and cherries were grown and cider and vinegar were produced. Webster also had an ashing industry that produced large amounts of potash that was shipped to Canada to make soap. Salt Road was named for large deposits of salt in the area between Ridge Road and Lake Ontario. Webster also had a brief flurry as a producer of silk.
Much of the gentle rolling farm land has been replaced with many unique businesses. The Parks and Recreation Department provides activities to residents from preschoolers through the senior population. Programs are designed to stimulate and promote fitness, offer social interactions and provide good, clean fun for all. The Webster Summer Celebration is a popular event with lots of , fun, food and entertainment. The Town parks offer many opportunities for activities, such as fishing, boating, biking, walking, jogging, and cross country skiing. The playgrounds are filled with fun equipment for children, and picnic areas for families. There is even overnight camping in Webster Park. The Webster Arboretum offers many events throughout the year. In the fall they hold a Fall Festival & Community Camp Out. Webster has a fantastic aquatic center with 50 meter pool. There is also a skate park facility.
The first supervisor for the Town of Webster was Byron Woodhull in 1840. He was elected supervisor on four later occasions: 1843, 1847, 1850, and 1856. There have been 46 other supervisors, and the current supervisor is Cathryn Thomas, the first woman supervisor serving our town. She has served as supervisor since 1994. During her tenure Webster has experienced much residential growth and currently commercial growth is taking place in several areas around town.
Village of Webster
Celebrates 100th Anniversary
1905 - 2005
In 1905 the Village of Webster was incorporated. At that time its most urgent needs were water, fire protection, and street lighting. Gas lighting for village businesses, streets and residences was completed shortly after incorporation, and then in 1906 the Webster Fire Department was organized. Today, as in the beginning, the department is made up of all volunteers.
The year 1900 marked a significant turning point in the development of the Village. The first bank since Civil War times was established, and the Rochester Sodus Bay Trolley connected Webster to Rochester, leading a major expansion of the Village residential area.
Until well after World War I, the Village was the shipping center for the area’s dried apple industry. The Village also had the world’s largest basket factory and was the center of the canning industry in Monroe County.
Gradually Webster experienced the decline of the agricultural trade. In the late 1950's, the Village annexed 182 acres of land that became home to the Xerox Corporation. This lead to residential expansion.
The Village continues to provide many services to its residents and to the business district. There are 22 acres of parks and recreation areas in the Village. The Veterans Memorial Park on North Avenue holds memorial services during the year. The park’s gazebo holds a summer concert series on Friday nights and the Village Day’s Festival in August.
The Village of Webster also maintains the Village Band stand on Foster Drive off Phillips Road. The band plays concerts in the bandshell on most Thursday evenings throughout the summer.
Other events in the Village are the Farmers Market, Trick or Treat Trail & Costume Contest, White Christmas, Holiday Parade of Lights & Fireworks, and the famous Webster Firemen’s Carnival.
The Village has had 21 Mayors. The longest serving Mayor was W. Roy Hawley. He served for 34 years from 1931 to 1965. The current Mayor is John F. Judge.
Chase Bank - Eastway Branch
Celebrates 50th Anniversary
1955 - 2005
JP Morgan Chase Bank, Eastway office is located at 1950 Empire Blvd., Webster, in the Wegmans Shopping Center. Situated in the corner of Penfied, Rochester, and Webster, they serve a variety of customers. It officially opened on Monday, September 19, 1955 as Lincoln Rochester when Penfield Supervisor Charles L. Harris cut the ribbon with Cyril Kress, Vice President of Lincoln Rochester in charge of branch banks; William Ebrenstein, branch manager at Eastway; John Remington, President of Lincoln Rochester and Robert Wegman, owner of Eastway Plaza and Wegmans Food Market.
Their origin began in 1799 as a local water company in New York City. Alexander Hamilton and Aaron Burr approached the NY City Council and created a private water company called the Manhattan Company. With the surplus capital from the water company, they formed The Bank of Manhattan Co. On March 31, 1955, The Bank of The Manhattan Company joined forced with Chase National Bank to become The Chase Manhattan Bank. In 1961, the Manufacturers Trust Company and the Hanover Bank merged, creating a bank strong with New York’s medium-sized businesses. Chemical was equally strong in this area, and their 1991 merger created a powerful institution. Chemical was the port of entry for many women executives into the male-dominated industry by way of its management training program. Chase, under the leadership of David Rockefeller, was a preeminent international bank. The combination of Chemical with Chase created a global institution, with over 70,000 employees worldwide. Merger of J.P. Morgan & Company Inc. And the Chase Manhattan Corporation occurred on December 31, 2000 and the latest merger of Bank One and JP Morgan Chase occurred on January 15, 2005, now with over 125,000 employees in 50 countries.
Chase Branches serve the small business customers and the retail customers. Banking today demands longer hours: 8:30 am to 6 pm daily and 9-1 on Saturdays. This is a big change from the "bankers hours" of Bank of Manhattan when they opened from 10 sm to 3 pm. Services like free checking with direct deposit have been resurrected; promotions over the years have changed from toaster to gift cards; home equity lines of credit started at Prime plus 2%, now at Prime minus ½%. Things do change for the better.
Webster Wholesale Tire, Inc.
Celebrates 50th Anniversary
1955 - 2005
Take yourself back in time to an era when automobiles were coming to the forefront of American culture. It was the time romanticized by the movie, American Graffiti. It was the 1950's when cars like the 55 Chevy, Corvette and Thunderbird were introduced to us. It was at this time, 1955, that Webster Wholesale Tire was born.
Robert Hutteman, father of current owner, Chris Hutteman, started the company under the name, Webster Recapping Company. As the name implies, the focus of the company back then was to retread tires to be sold wholesale. Retreading, or recapping, is the process of bonding a new tread to a worn out tire. Retreads were very popular in those days for a number of reasons. Cars were all rear wheel drive. There was no such thing as an all-season tire. There was no such thing as a radial tire. In fact, there wasn’t even a tubeless tire yet! Our roads were not plowed in the winter nearly as well as they are now. Everybody needed snow tires to get around. Retreaded snow tires were about half the price of new tires, and a popular option for motorists.
The first location of Webster Recapping was on North Ave, just north of Marine Midland Bank’s parking lot. It was a small block building that was later torn down to provide a driveway for the municipal parking lot. In 1969 the company moved to 156 Orchard St. A new steel warehouse was added to an existing block building to provide ample space for the retreading factory, plus storage for the finished tires. In 1955, two people were employed there. Robert did all the sales and delivery work. His only employee, Robert Boughton, did all the manufacturing. The company only produced 24 tires a day, and they were delivered in the family station wagon. By the time they moved, there were 7 employees, retreading 72 tires a day and they had 4 delivery trucks. Over the next several years retread sales continued to grow, as well as the sale of new tires. By 1983 it was time for another move. They were now retreading over 1000 tires per week. There was no room to expand, so a separate warehouse and office were built at 1010 Picture Pkwy. The factory remained in operation at the Orchard St. location. As the 1980s continued, business under went a dramatic change. Front wheel drive cars, all-season radial tires, and "low cost" new tires were contributing factors to the demise of the retreading industry. As retread sales dropped, the focus of the company shifted to wholesaling new replacement tires. In 1990 the retreading operation was shut down, and the Orchard Street location was sold. Throughout the 1990s new tire sales grew, and in 2004, a 9,000 sq. ft. addition was added to the Picture Pkwy. warehouse for a total of 23,000 sq. ft. They currently have a staff of 14, and a fleet of 11 trucks.
Over the past 50 years Webster Wholesale Tire has been a wholesale distributor in the truest sense of the word. They do not mount and balance tires, in fact, they do not sell tires retail to the general public. Their primary customer has been the independent auto repair shop. While buying trends have changed over the years, ie. Big Box retailers, Discount Wholesale clubs and the internet, many people still value the expertise and opinion of their local dealer. The value and expertise that the local shops provide the motorist has been the cornerstone of their success. Chris thanks all the repair shops that have been his customers over the years.
Celebrates 40th Anniversary
1965 - 2005
John Casciani, builder/architect and Webster native began learning the construction business at the age of 15 as a laborer for his father, Anthony and his grandfather, John. The business was established in 1965 as a masonry contracting business. John became a skilled mason but he had a passion for real estate, building and development. John earned a degree in construction engineering and management then became a licensed real estate agent. He began to purchase, rehabilitate and manage residential properties in Webster. He became a skillful home builder on challenging property. Today, Casciani Construction Co. builds some of the area’s finest custom homes. The company is now well known as the builder & developer of the Bluffs, along the Bay - "A Spectacular Waterfront Community with Private Boat Docks and a Connection to History."
The beautiful location has the feeling of exclusive seclusion, yet is convenient to all amenities. John has taken great care to maintain the natural surroundings while creating beautiful homes on the scenic landscape.
Du-Right Pest Control
Celebrates 40th Anniversary
1965 - 2005
John W. Fink founded Du-Right Pest Control in 1965. In the beginning, Du-Right operated as a small family business servicing pest control needs in the Syracuse area for both residential and commercial customers. With integrity and determination to provide quality service, Du-Right quickly gained many satisfied and loyal customers giving the small company continued growth.
Now in its 40th year of service to the community, Du-Right Pest Control has grown into one of the premiere pest control operators in New York State. With over 30 employees, Du-Right provides progressive pest control techniques to home owners and businesses including convenience stores, schools, hospitals, bottling plants, warehouses, zoos, etc. Du-Right also sets the highest standards for technician training in our area, and offers value-added service to their customers.
Forty years ago the mission of this home-based business - quality service and customer satisfaction - is the standard still adhered to today.
Webster Chrysler Jeep
Celebrates 40th Anniversary
1965 - 2005
Webster Chrysler Jeep has been serving Webster and surrounding areas for over forty years. They are a full service dealership, offering new Chrysler and Jeep products, all brands of late model used vehicles, a full service body shop, service department and parts department. Webster Chrysler Jeep’s comprehensive service departments can meet all customers’ automotive needs.
In 1998 Randy Henderson took the helm. His vision was to make Webster Chrysler jeep the best auto dealership in the area. Randy’s leadership and management were needed at Webster Chrysler Jeep. He sold his dealership in Marion, Ohio to become the general manager at Webster Chrysler Jeep. Within a short period of time he realized that this was home and decided to buy the dealership. During Randy’s first year Webster Chrysler Jeep was granted Chrysler’s "Five Star" status, which is the highest award that Chrysler awards its dealers based on customer satisfaction ratings, sales satisfaction ratings and sound operational processes. Webster Chrysler Jeep also won Chrysler’s "Just the Best" award, which is based on a combination of meeting sales requirements, customer and sales satisfaction indexes and profit levels.
August 1, 2003, he became President/General Manager of Webster Ford which offers a full line of new Ford products, all brands of used vehicles and full service parts and service departments. He and his management team earned "Blue Oval" status in October of 2003.
In February 2005, the newest addition to the Henderson Automotive Family was Greece Ridge Lincoln Mercury Nissan, located at 1877 West Ridge Road in Greece. They carry a full line of new Lincoln, Mercury and Nissan products, all brands of used vehicles and full service parts and service departments.
The Henderson Automotive Family has founded a not-for-profit organization called, "A New Day Now" which is dedicated to contributing support to various local churches and non profit entities in our community. Randy believes that our businesses and the community should be strongly interwoven and looks forward to growing and deepening our community relationships.
Randy has always been a firm believer in "giving back to the community". He is actively involved in the community in many areas. A Webster school contacted him to assist in their "Boot In" program. He was asked to contribute $750.00 to cover overhead expenses for the program. Randy did not feel that was enough so he doubled the contribution. Randy was also very involved with the Boys and Girls clubs. He also gets his staff involved. Many are involved in community programs. After the September 11, 2001 attacks, Randy held a staff meeting to discuss ways they could help. The sales staff decided to contribute a day’s wages to assist the attack victims. Again, Randy’s humanitarianism was shown when Webster Chrysler Jeep matched the amount the employees gave.
Randy is a mentor, speaker and advisor to several local schools, President of Rochester Black Business Association, board member of Action for a Better Community, and serves on many other boards and committees. He is an active member of Webster Chamber of Commerce and active in his church. Webster Chrysler Jeep along with DaimlerChrysler provides local schools and non profit organizations with fund raising assistance for special events. Whether it’s a school program, little league baseball team, or other community needs, Randy and his staff devote time and money to help our community become a better place to live.
Xerox Federal Credit Union
Celebrates 40th Anniversary
1964 - 2004
Xerox FCU actually celebrated their anniversary last year, but we didn’t discover that until recently. The Board of Directors recommendation was to make the recognition this year.
Xerox Federal Credit Union (XFCU) first opened its doors in 1964 and recently completed forty years in business. Bill Cheney, XFCU President and CEO, is humbled by the thought that their growth to over 77,000 members began with just one. And from a single member deposit, they’ve grown to over $1 billion in membership assets.
The credit union was opened to all Xerox employees in 1975 making it one of the first nationally chartered credit unions. Currently, there are 16 branches nationwide. However, the largest concentration of members is in the Greater Rochester area. In 2003, the credit union’s charter was expanded to include the community of Rochester. This means anyone who lives, works, worships or attends school in the community is eligible to join.
It is interesting to note that XFCU was the first credit union in the nation to offer online bill payer service back in 1995. The credit union remains one of the industry leaders in Internet banking with over 50% of members using their SuperAxcess Web Banking. According to a recent study by the Raddon Financial Group, the national average for financial institutions is 27%. When asked about the popularity of their web banking system Cheney stated, "It’s completely free for all members while many others charge fees. Our members tell us that SuperAxcess Web Banking makes it very convenient to do business with XFCU."
Beyond serving the financial needs of its members, the credit union encourages employees to become involved in the community and charitable activities. XFCU has been recognized for its commitment to the community by the credit union industry. In fact, the Rochester District of XFCU has been the winner of the Dora Maxwell Award for the past four years straight by the New York State Credit League. The award recognizes community involvement and social responsibility.
An upcoming local activity sponsored by XFCU is the Webster Village Days "Chili for Charity" event on August 13th. Proceeds will benefit the Webster Village Business Improvement District and the Webster Comfort Care Hospice Home. "It’s our way of giving back to a community that has helped us to become one of the nations strongest credit unions over the past 40 years," said Cheney.
Paul V. Dwyer, Inc.
Celebrates 35th Anniversary
1970 - 2005
Paul V. Dwyer, Inc. is a Manufacturer’s Representative Agency, located at 52 Skyview Lane, Rochester. Paul Dwyer began as a sole proprietor in 1970 and incorporated in 1977. Paul’s agency specializes in precision mechanical components to original equipment manufacturers in upstate New York and selected accounts in Canada.
Paul moved to the Rochester area after getting his Masters degree from the University of Pittsburgh. Paul’s first wife, Mary died in 1988. He has since remarried to the former Sharon Dorn of Webster. They have six children between them. Paul has been a long time member of the Chamber.
Celebrates 35th Anniversary
1970 - 2005
Taylor Rental has been a family owned franchise since 1970, originally beginning in Utica, NY by the Bardusch family. It was one of the first Taylor Rental franchises in NYS. In 1992 the Bardusch family expanded their business and bought the Webster location. Both stores are currently owned by the Bardusch family’s third generation, David Bardusch of Webster. The family offers quality products and services to their communities. From hand and power tools for the do-it-yourselfer, to construction equipment for the professionals, to party and special event equipment for homeowners and party specialists – Taylor Rental rents it all.
Taylor Rental is an active member with the American Rental Association. David has served on several national committees being selected from thousands of rental owners in the US and Canada. Since 1997 David has served as President of the Upstate New York Rental Association, an elected position representing rental owners from Central to Western New York. In January of 2000 the TruServ Corporation presented David with the "Outstanding Contribution to the Rental Industry" award. TruServ Corp. is the franchise holder for all Taylor Rental and Grand Rental Stations as well as Servistar and True Value hardwares.
The Bardusch family has participated in several volunteer organizations for three generations. This has helped Taylor Rental grow and to become well recognized and appreciated members of their communities.
WCTA Federal Credit Union
Celebrates 35th Anniversary
1970 - 2005
Founded in 1970 in the high school building in Sodus, NY, WCTA Federal Credit Union originally served the employees in the Wayne County school districts. In time, the credit union grew to include a large number of member groups throughout Wayne and Ontario counties, including large and small businesses, not-for-profit and volunteer organizations, and Wayne County students. In 2004, WCTA became a community credit union and now serves all of Wayne, Ontario, and Monroe counties.
With over 33,000 members and branches in Sodus, Newark, Canandaigua, Macedon and its newest location in Webster - in Webster Square between K-Mart and BJ’s - WCTA is one of the leading full-service credit unions in upstate New York. Its primary goal is to help members save money by offering competitive rates on both deposit and loan products, and to help them save time with a variety of convenience services. In its thirty-five year history, WCTA has consistently been known and recognized for its quality service, most recently gaining a 97.4% satisfaction rating in a survey of its membership.
Celebrates 30th Anniversary
1975 - 2005
For almost half a century, the Doyle family has been associated with the automobile industry. In the 1950's Studebakers were the rage and Mike Doyle’s grandfather built the largest dealership in the world right here in Rochester. In the 60's and early 70's, Chrysler Plymouth products carried the Doyle name and guarantee of a fair deal. In 1975, John Doyle purchased the current franchise from Donald Schumaker and began 30 years as a leading Chevrolet dealer. John’s sons, Mike and Mark are third generation auto men. Together they oversee much of the day to day operations.
The acquisition of Subaru in 1999 was another positive for the company. Their slogan, "Quality products and service all at a fair price" is as true today as it was 30 years ago. Doyle Chevrolet Inc., Doyle Subaru are located at 740 Ridge Road, Webster.