Boulter Industrial Contractors Inc.
Celebrates 115th Anniversary
1892 - 2007
A long line of William Boulter’s have grown this family-owned business to extend over five generations. Beginning in 1892 Thomas W. Boulter (1869-1931) founded the local carting and moving company with two teams of horses, specializing in coal and ice delivery.
1924 - William P. Boulter (1891-1978)
Takes over the business converting the horses to one of Rochester’s first moving vans.
1946 - William T. Boulter (1921-2005)
Takes the company to the next step by acquiring five trucks and building a garage for equipment in the back of his home.
1955 - Company purchases second building on 11 acres of land in the City of Rochester.
1963 - William G. Boulter (1946- )
joins the management of the company. Company is now a radio dispatched local and long distance mover serving corporate clients such as Eastman Kodak, Dynacolor Corp, IBM and General Dynamics.
1974 - Ascot Van Line of Syracuse, NY and Boulter Carting Company merge.
1975 - Boulter Rigging Corp. Formed to engage in rigging and moving of heavy equipment.
1979 - Purchased facility known as Buffalo Road Industrial Complex to expand its warehouse operations and expand its business lines to installing and moving industrial machinery.
1980 - 100 acres of land is acquired from the Schreiber family and 25 acres from the Berkowitz family of Webster.
1981 - Satellite building constructed on Basket Road to manage business expansion with Xerox Corporation.
1982 - William G. Boulter moves his family to Webster.
1991 - Corporation moves its operations from Potomac Street, Rochester, to new 100,000 square foot facility at Basket Road and Boulter Industrial Park.
1996 - William S. Boulter (1968- )
is named President of Boulter Rigging Corp. Business relocates to its new facility at 610 Salt Road.
2005 - William S. Boulter acquires majority ownership in company and name is changed to Boulter Industrial Contractors, Inc. to reflect its multi faceted operations in moving and installation of industrial machinery; providing flexible warehousing space and steel fabrication and welding services to clients throughout upstate New York.
2007 - 115 years serving Rochester and the surrounding communities.
The Goodie Shoppe
Celebrates 80th Anniversary
1927 - 2007
The Goodie Shoppe was founded 80 years ago my Michael Broikou’s grandfather, Achilles Broikou, who immigrated to the United States from Greece as a young fellow in 1916. Prior to opening his business, Achilles worked at various jobs including selling fruits and vegetables from a pushcart, served his new country during the First World War, became a U.S. citizen in 1919 and returned to Greece to marry Anastasia. A young woman of 17 Achilles brought her to American to raise their family and make a living. He learned the candy business working at the South Avenue Candy Kitchen, which was located at the corner of South Avenue and Gregory Street.
After several years apprenticeship at the Candy Kitchen, Achilles struck out on his own. In 1927 he acquired “The Goodie Shoppe” at Goodman Street and Clifford Avenue. He added ice cream to his array of homemade candy confections and purchased his first ice cream machine for $200 from Rochester Gas and Electric, which also financed the purchase. (Back in those days, RG&E sold appliances in addition to supplying utilities.) He brought two of his brothers, Chris and Bill, from Greece, and the three worked to build the business and support their families.
After surviving the Depression, the Goodie Shoppe prospered, and Achilles opened a second store in 1941 on the corner of Clifford and Portland Avenues. Chris ran the Goodman Street store and Achilles ran the new Portland Av store. In 1939, Achilles conceived and made this area’s first “ice cream cake,” which today has become a special-occasion dessert to a large and growing number of loyal customers throughout the Greater Rochester area.
The Goodie Shoppe became the gathering place for scores of neighborhood families and young adults, who met their girlfriends or boyfriends and danced to popular tunes on the jukebox at the local ice cream parlor. The Goodman Street store closed in the middle 1960's when Chris went to work for Kodak. This left Achilles’ Portland Avenue store the sole remaining establishment. With the neighborhood changing and the glory days of the old-fashioned ice cream parlor behind it, Achilles moved the Goodie Shoppe to Webster, in 1975. It was located in a converted caboose at the former site of The Hojack Yards Restaurant (now Toddler’s Workshop/Railroad Junction.) Ownership of the business was turned over to Michael who then was just 21. Michael learned the art of candy making as a teenager from his grandfather. In 1979 Michael moved the store to its present site at 83 North Avenue.
Today, people from all over the Greater Rochester area come to the Goodie Shoppe to purchase Michael’s homemade candy and ice cream cakesMany of the children from the old neighborhood, now adults with children and grandchildren of their own, return to the store year after year. At the current location for 28 years, Michael provides quality products. He continues his grandfather’s tradition of Quality - Service - Satisfaction. Store hours are 10-5 Mon-Fri; 10-2 Sat.
Kuhn & Pedulla Agency
Celebrates 70th Anniversary
1937 - 2007
This year marks the 70th anniversary of local insurance agency, the Kuhn & Pedulla Agency, with roots dating back to 1937. The agency evolved from two family-owned and run insurance agencies. The Roman A. Kuhn Agency (originally of Dunning Ave) and the Pedulla Insurance Agency (which relocated to Webster in 1985 from the Sibley Tower) merged operations in 1989 to become the Kuhn & Pedulla Insurance Agency.
Originally founded in 1937 by Roman Kuhn and his wife Dorothy (whose passing earlier this year is sadly mourned), the Kuhn agency continued their local presence under the leadership of Dorothy and son, Donald Kuhn, upon Roman’s death in 1955. Roman was well-known to the Webster community, having served as Chamber President from 1948-50.
The Pedulla Agency was founded in the early 1950's by James Pedulla, also a long-time Webster resident. The leadership of that agency was turned over to daughters Marlene Remein and Kathleen Pedulla Scaccia upon Jim’s retirement in 1980.
Through their office, presently situated at 859 Ridge Road, Webster the agency serves insurance needs of individuals, families and businesses in the greater Rochester and western New York area, providing expertise in the Personal, Commercial, Life and Health Insurance fields. As an Independent Insurance agency, Kuhn & Pedulla represents a carefully selected group of financially sound, reputable insurance companies, hoping to offer their clients a policy with the company offering them the best coverage at a competitive price.
In an effort to stay current and contribute back to the insurance industry, the agency has been an active member of the Independent Insurance Agents & Brokers Assoc. for many years, recently receiving the Seymour Schwartz award for 55 years of continuous membership. Both Marlene and Kathleen have served as board members and past presidents of the Monroe County Independent Insurance Agents Association since their entry into the business. Both women continue their active involvement and annually set aside time to travel to Albany to lobby our legislators, soliciting support of issues of concern to their clients. Membership in the Webster Chamber of Commerce has also been a part of the agency’s local commitment over the years.
For years the agency’s slogan has been “Complete Insurance Service” and in an effort to justify that claim, separate departments have been established to handle Personal Lines, Commercial Lines, and Financial Services, with the goal of the agency being to provide complete risk management. Aside from the longevity of the agency, Kuhn and Pedulla boast of the consistency and continuing education of their staff. Linda Budd has managed the office operations since 1985, while Deirdre Keating, ACSR, has been an Account Rep at Kuhn and Pedulla since 1996. Marlene Remein, AAI, continues to oversee the Personal Line operations with Kathleen Pedulla, CPCU, managing the Commercial Lines of the office. The newest Account Rep, Suzanne D’Ettore, also specializes in Life, Disability and Long Term Care, and is diligently working towards her own ACSR designation.
As business transitions in the 21st century and available products and services expand, Kuhn and Pedulla has not forgotten the basis of their business, as established 70 years ago by Roman and Dorothy Kuhn and Jim Pedulla: “Treat your policy holders as your neighbors, and provide the best in products, service, and price.” At Kuhn and Pedulla Insurance Agency, the experienced staff looks forward to serving their policyholders and their neighbors now and for the next 70 years.
Maplewood Nursing & Rehabilitation
Celebrates 60th Anniversary
1947 - 2007
Founded in 1947 Maplewood Nursing & Rehabilitation is celebrating its 60th anniversary. Maplewood moved to the Village of Webster in 1974 and has been active in helping Webster seniors ever since. Maplewood provides both traditional long term care services as well as rehabilitation services for post surgical procedures such as knee and hip replacements, and cardiac conditions. Several months ago the Maplewood began offering out-patient physical therapy services. The facility prides itself in offering the very best in accommodations. Patients can choose from 22 patio suites, 18 suites or 24 private rooms. Award winning dining services, park-like grounds with ponds and water features and wireless internet in all the patient rooms are just some of the innovative features that individuals enjoy at Maplewood.
The nursing facility is located at 100 Daniel Drive in the Village of Webster and is staffed by a team of dedicated professionals. Greg Chambery took over the operation from his father, James, in 1999 and is the third generation to oversee operations at the Maplewood. Greg says that much has changed since the early days on Lake Avenue in Rochester, but with attention to detail they continue to serve customers with five-star treatment.
Celebrates 60th Anniversary
1947 - 2007
The Pennysaver was originally published in 1947 by Allan Mayo of Sodus Point. It was purchased from him by Leland and Lorene Flora in 1955. They combined the three former publications into one Webster-Ontario-Walworth Penny-saver which was expanded to include the Webster School District with homes also in Penfield.
This family run business is still operated from 164 East Main Street in the village of Webster. Originally Lee sold ads, Lorene produced them in the family dining room, Grampa Brazda printed the paper in the basement on mimeograph machines, Gramma Brazda made sure everybody got a good meal, and the kids and neighbors helped collate and staple the separate pages ready for the mail every Thursday.
In the 1970's, daughter Jill joined the business and the Advertising Delivery Service was created to guarantee same-day delivery of their independent carriers. This not only created fifty new jobs for local residents, but it guaranteed on-time delivery for the merchants’ ads.
By 1990, Lorene and Lee Flora were thinking retirement. Their daughter Jill and husband Geof had lived in the Virgin Islands since 1973 when Hurricane Hugo arrived destroying St. Croix. So in blew Jill, Geof and their four girls, who purchased the business in 1992.
Jill and Geof Mohr continue to run this family business in the tradition of their parents. More than 20,700 Pennysavers are distributed every Monday to EVERY-BODY in the Webster, Ontario, Walworth, Union Hill, Penfield area. Emphasis is placed on COMMUNITY through their Community Calendar, their Design-An-Ad in which students’ ads are published, fund raising for the local fire departments and Community Chest, and community merchants’ sales and services. A recent Certified Audit of Circulation showed a readership of 97.8%. SHOP LOCALLY....the money spent at home, stays in your community!
Anthony Funeral & Cremation Chapels
Celebrates 55th Anniversary
1952 - 2007
In 1952 Benton Anthony opened Anthony Funeral Chapel on Monroe Avenue in the small, but growing, town of Brighton. Two years later, his brother George joined the business. As the business grew, George’s son, Mark, joined in 1974; Benton’s son, Scott joined in 1982; and his son Benton (Chip) Jr. in 1990.
Mark and Scott purchased Anthony Funeral Chapel in 1984 when Benton retired. The following year they expanded with the purchase of Smith & Lotze funeral home in Webster. Besides the Anthony family’s rich history in Brighton, the family took on the task of continuing the 90-year Smith & Lotze tradition in Webster. Smith & Lotze owner Frank Klick helped to continue that tradition by joining Anthony Funeral Chapel. He remained with the firm for 16 years, until retiring in 2002.
In 1995 the Anthony’s built a new funeral home and an adjacent family center on Ridge Road. The original name was replaced with Anthony Funeral Chapel. The Anthony’s made history with the opening of the family center. It was the first such facility permitted in New York State. With a capacity of 50, the family center is available to families during calling hours and after funeral services. The center is also available to community organizations.
In 2001 Bonnie Anthony developed a Support Group for women who experienced the loss of their spouse. It helps women to understand the grief and mourning process. Since grief puts a lot of stress on the body the discussion teaches how to take care of yourself in order to stay healthy.
In 2004 the business name was changed to Anthony Funeral & Cremation Chapels to reflect the increasing demand for cremation services.
For 55 years the Anthony family has provided caring, compassionate service to those who have lost a loved one. Now with the third generation family member joining the firm, the Anthony’s will continue to provide the highest level of service.
Gordon Beh Excavating
Chamberlain Septic Service
Celebrates 45th Anniversary
1962 - 2007
Gordon Beh started his business in 1962. He had been in the dairy farming business prior to the start of the excavating business. He owned a backhoe to clean debris from his farm when the building boom came to Webster. The water department asked him to help put in water services. Contractors then began to ask for backhoe service for work on new homes and repairs. He soon had four backhoes, added dump trucks and small dozers, followed by large excavators.
The company specializes in the design and installation of septic systems and aerobic waste treatment systems. The business is located three miles east of the Village of Webster at 1835 Ridge Road Junction.
Gordon retired in 1991 and his two sons, Dean and David, continue the family business. The company continues to grow with the addition of new trucks and equipment each year. There are 20 year round employees and a few seasonal employees for the snowplow operations. Many of the employees have been with Gordon Beh Excavating since the early days.
The company also owns Chamberlain Septic Services, purchased in 1972, and Beh Industrial Park - started in the 1970's. The Industrial Park is located on Route 104, Ontario, NY, one mile east of Webster.
Webster Montessori School
Celebrates 40th Anniversary
1967 - 2007
In 1967, six women, united in their passion for a quality education for their children, joined together to create a Montessori school in the Webster community. Starting as just one room in the basement of a local church, the school soon came to be known as Webster Montessori School.
In its early years, the school focused on a primary program, educating children ages three to twelve. Over the years, the quality and values of the Montessori program attracted many families, and in response to the needs of the community, a full-time Wrap-Around program was established and is available for current students. This provides parents with additional flexibility and a reliable, caring environment for their children. The Wrap-Around program operates both before and after school, so children can benefit from the Montessori environment from 7 a.m. until 6 p.m. if desired. The Wrap-Around program is available most school holidays and summer for current students aged three and up.
In 1997, Webster Montessori School expanded its program to offer a Montessori environment for elementary children ages six to twelve. In 2002, the school initiated its toddler program for children ages 18 months to three years. The toddler program offers an early introduction to the Montessori classroom and stimulates the child’s love of learning at an early age. Our Summer Enrichment Programs also started in 2002, offering a variety of one-week educational programs to supplement classroom learning.
In 2004 the school reached a significant milestone. After leasing space in a variety of locations over the years, Webster Montessori School purchased its own building. This has allowed the school to continually expand its educational programs and offer a stable, consistent environment to the children.
The school is excited to celebrate its 40th anniversary this year. It is an important milestone for Montessori education worldwide as well, marking the 100th anniversary of Dr. Maria Montessori’s first classroom. We look forward to the year and the additional growth we anticipate in y
Bay View Family YMCA
Celebrates 35th Anniversary
1972 - 2007
The Bay View Family Branch has provided the community with a variety of programs and services for the past 35 years. The branch is continually evaluating and improving programs to meet the changing needs of its members as it moves through the 21st Century. The Bay View YMCA is a charitable organization whose mission has endured - putting Christian principles into practice through programs for the community that build a healthy spirit, mind, and body for all.
History: In 1963 the “Irondequoit - Webster Branch of the YMCA of Greater Rochester moved from a one room office below a Point Pleasant meat market to a 32 room estate with 72 acres (owned by YMCA patron J. Howard Kidd) on Bay Road and had changed its name to the Bay View YMCA.
By the mid 60's it became quite evident that Bay View had outgrown the Kidd Castle Facility and in 1972 Bay View built a new facility a little bit up the road on Kidd Castle Way.
Bay View continued to grow through the 80's and 90's, added a Family Adventure Center and outdoor pool in 1999, as well as a 1,700 square foot state of the art Wellness Center, a whirlpool and sauna, Women’s locker rooms and a family/special needs locker room in 2001.
Today, the Bay View YMCA facility continues its commitment to help build strong kids, strong families and strong communities through its participation in the Activate America program. This program’s goal is to improve the health and wellness of millions of Americans by reducing barriers and increasing supports for individuals and families to live healthier lives.
The current Bay View facility is 45,000 square feet in size and includes office spaces, a gym, two pools, wellness center, aerobics studio, multi purpose room, child watch room, two preschool classrooms, a wrap around kindergarten room, teen center, an indoor playground and a 35-acre camp that includes boating and water skiing on the Irondequoit Bay.
The Bay View YMCA employs 25 full-time staff, 304 part-time employees and serves approximately 13,000 members. Our work would not be possible without the Bay View YMCA’s committee volunteers who help us put our mission into action. Our volunteer army consists of 25 Board members, 30 standing committee members and 225 Program volunteers. These awesome volunteers also help Bay View YMCA to raise over $112,000 each year to ensure that no one is turned away from our programs and services due to an inability to pay.
Webster Wine & Spirits
Celebrates 30th Anniversary
1977 - 2007
July 1977 — Mechanical cash registers, cash or check - no credit cards, manual hand posted paper general ledgers, no faxes, no computers, and the drive to make this operation successful. Hire wisely, prioritize respect, get out of their way but maintain guidance. This may be a good formula.
July 2007 — Being able to look back on 10,950 days of business is a good feeling — looking forward to more is great. Even greater is the deep sense of gratitude felt towards those who have made this possible. An understanding, supportive wife and family, gracious in-laws, extremely effective, reliable and always friendly management and staff and last but not least, the many thousands of customers who have patronized us over the years to make it all possible. A Big “THANK YOU” to all.
Best Times Financial Planning
Celebrates 25th Anniversary
1982 - 2007
Jack Best founded Best Times Financial Planning on July 1, 1982 , exactly five weeks before the Dow hit its lowest point in decades. Since that time, both Best Times and Dow have hit record highs. Jack entered the financial services profession in 1978. He had earned his Doctorate in Educational Administration from the State University of New York at Buffalo and had been high school principal both at Sodus Central and Caledonia-Mumford. His career pattern changed as an entrepreneur emerged from his training and experiences in public education. He first worked out of his home, with wife Kathy as his service and marketing assistant. He obtained his securities and insurance licenses and registered Best Times as an independent financial planning firm. In 1986 Jack joined the Webster Chamber of Commerce primarily to provide health insurance benefits to his growing staff. He served as a Board Member from 1987-1990.
Best Times Financial Planning provides exit strategies to business owners and professionals who wish to derive the most value from their lifetime of work and expect a high level of service. Best Times planners view each client’s financial picture on a cross-disciplinary basis, not just from a legal, accounting, investment or insurance perspective. This process enables them to identify both coordination gaps and planning opportunities that create greater confidence in their plans and can mean literally hundreds of thousands if not millions of dollars, depending on the situation.
Kevin Best now owns Best Times and heads an ensemble team of planners and support personnel who develop customized strategies that create and maintain wealth.
Zachary Bear Store
Celebrates 25th Anniversary
1982 - 2007
Twenty-five years ago Bill Aman read an article in the New York Times about a teddy bear parade in a small midwestern town. He asked his wife, Lori, to start creating children’s books based on a teddy bear character. Lori created a bear and painted him in a variety of settings. He appeared in a high chair, taking a bubble bath, and reading a book. She named him Zachary Bear. The first series featured seventeen bear designs including a skier, banjo player, soccer player, golfer, and eating ice cream. Zachary Bear made his public debut at the 1983 Clothesline Arts Festival sponsored by the Memorial Art Gallery. At the show customers would ask Lori to personalize their hand painted Zachary Bear pictures. Between art shows, customers would purchase personalized designs from the Aman’s home in Rochester. This launched Zachary Bear as a character, but took Lori away from the goal of publishing a book.
In 1986, Lori created a large poster for the Adam Walsh Children’s Resource Center. It featured Zachary Bear and debuted a female bear character. She was named after Lori’s first private art student, Sarah.
Loram Productions was incorporated in 1987. Bill and Lori started coming to Segway in Webster for color reproductions and met Ed Huehn. He would create color prints from Lori’s original designs. Zachary Bear® prints were available in three sizes and printed on apparel. Lori and Bill continued to participate in art shows locally and throughout the Northeast. In 1991, Segway and Loram Productions were merged and Zachary Bear had a permanent home in Webster at 263 North Ave., next to Kittelberger Florists. Lori continued to create new designs as requested. She would spend time researching facts and details for each design.
In 1999, Lisa Fox, a member of the Genesee Valley Calligraphy Guild, joined the creative team. Lisa added a new level of calligraphic personalization to the Zachary Bear line. She also brought her original calligraphic art for inspirational cards and prints. She became the coordinator for “Young Masterpieces,” a school fundraising program featuring personalized student artwork. She also became a great resource for genealogy and family history.
As the company continues to grow, the team of Ed Huehn, President; Bill Aman, CEO; Lisa Fox, Project Development Coordinator; and Lori Aman, Artist, combines art and technology in many creative ways. All orders are fulfilled on the premises to ensure the highest quality and the quickest completion time. In addition to Zachary Bear products your photos or artwork may be printed on a variety of items including ceramic mugs, puzzles, coasters, clock, trays, apparel, keepsake boxes, candles, fabric for quilts, note cards, and more. There are currently over 750 different designs of Zachary Bear and Sarah including medical, business and educational professions, sports, hobbies, armed services, deaf pride, religious holidays, bat and bar mitzvahs, baptisms, and holidays. Lori is soon to publish her first books for children titled “Zachary Bear and the Magic Easel” which will bring her back to her original goal. Lori is a member of the Rochester Area Children’s Book Writers and Illustrators.”